Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

When You Need a Little Inspiration

'Lavender Surprise'          8x10         pastel       ©Karen Margulis
available $150
 Sometimes you just need a little Bob Ross. Maybe it's the dreary weather today but I am just not being very productive. I started working on a Queen Anne's Lace painting but it wasn't cooperating so I put it aside for another day. I put up another unfinished painting of a lavender filed but I wasn't sure what it needed.
Then I spent way too much time lost in Facebook and following links. Which actually turned out to be a good thing. I discovered a few very useful websites including the Zen of Bob Ross blog. I scrolled down the page smiling as I read the Bob Bossisms....and then this quote hit me:

“There’s no good or bad. There’s just what makes you happy.”
— Bob Ross


The UFO painting with the original pink sky

It was just what I needed to hear. I now knew what that lavender field painting needed.  It needed a happy blue sky! I had originally decided to do a pale pink and violet sky for the field of lavender. My hope was that the violet in the sky would work well with the purple on the lavender.
And it did work. It just didn't make me happy. Perhaps it was the mood the pinkish sky created. Usually I love playing with sky color but this painting needed a traditional happy blue sky. So I took out a few blue pastels and repainted the sky. It made me happy! Thanks Bob. :)

Check out this fun blog for more gems from Bob Ross: http://zenofbobross.tumblr.com

No comments: